4/24/2013

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2013 - Day 3

 Hi,
I'm back for another Knitting and Crochet Blog Week post!  Read the italicized text below to see what this post will be about.
Day Three (Wednesday April 24th): Infographic
There are many ways of conveying information on a blog; text and images being the two most widely used. Many infographics combine both these elements to provide a visual way of presenting text information.

Make your own infogaphic (no fancy imaging software needed, you can draw it on paper and photograph it if you want) to convey any element of your craft(s). It can be just for fun or a thoroughly researched presentation of an idea/finding. Here is a very quick example that I made just for fun, which took me under three minutes.

There will be nobody checking on how accurate your infographics are. They may be just for fun (like the one above - I don't have that huge a yarn stash and it certainly didn't you any actual statistics - though if I had taken the time, I could have worked out the rate at which I knit yarn by looking at how many metres of yarn I had knit over the last year, calculated the total amount of yarn in my stash in metres and used a calculation of the average life expectancy of a woman in the UK minus my current age to find an actual calculation... but as I said, this took three minutes.

The whole point of this topic is to experiment with infographics as a way of sharing facts, information and ideas, and to explore another tool in a blogger's arsenal of communication options.


For more information and inspiration on infographics,
look here. If you are looking for a quick and easy way to produce and infographic search the web for 'Infographic Maker' to find many free tools for making your own, or embrace the old school with some paper and a pencil.







So, I followed the directions, and created an infographic.  And to be honest I think it turned out pretty cute!


As you can see, this infographic is displaying the amount of projects I start, verses the amount of projects I finish.  You can tell that I don't finish very many projects, but start tons of them!  This infographic is actually very accurate, and it's true that I don't finish most of the projects that I cast on.  I am trying to change my start/finishing habits, but it's really hard.  Hopefully I can do a post later in the year with an infographic showing a better percentage of finished projects! :-)


Now I have a question for you:  Are you like me (starts many projects but finishes only a small percentage) or are you the kind of person that starts something and goes all the way to the end?  Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I work my projects from start to finish and usually only ever have one thing on the needles. Usually. Currently I have three projects on the needles but I'm only working on one. In my defense, that one project has a deadline so the other two have to wait, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcomed :)